Sunday, 8 September 2013

Soft butter vanilla cookies

The other day I baked some soft vanilla butter cookies with my little sister Simone, it's been raining heavily over these past few days so we're all bored, and what better and tastier way to pass the time than baking? I was glad she suggested it, I'm getting sick of watching her play video games for hours on end, the girl needs to pick up a book! anyway, here's the recipe we used.


  • 125g unsalted butter, cubed, at room temperature
  • 1 tsp vanilla essence
  • 115g (3/4 cup) self-raising flour
  • 100g (2/3 cup) plain flour
  • 2 tbsp milk
  • 65g Caster sugar
          80g (1/3 cup) caster sugar




Pre-heat the oven to 160c - line your tray with baking paper, if you don't have any just grease it with butter and flour it evenly. Using a wooden spoon, beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla essence in a large bowl. Sift both types of flour into a separate bowl, add half the flour into the butter and mix together well, add the milk and continue to mix.




Add the remaining flour, if the dough is too dry, add two or three tablespoons of milk, if the dough is too wet, add a tablespoon of flour. when the dough becomes stiff, take it out of the bowl and knead with your hands to form the dough. Start to separate the dough into balls, forming between both your hands (make them as big as you like) and then flatten the balls into cookie shapes. Make sure to space them evenly and a good distance apart so they have room to spread.




Don't use cheap vanilla extract if possible, you really can taste the difference. Bake for 20 minutes, or until slightly cracked on the surface.




Eat them warm - I like to eat them right out of the oven so that it's struggle not to burn your tongue, you'll probably be a little more sensible than me though. They are excellent by themselves or crumbled over ice cream, with hot chocolate/malt drink, coffee, basically everything. It's a pretty adaptable cookie, you can add flavourings of your choice such as nuts, chocolate chips, raisins, jam centres, cherries, banana etc etc. We were just working with what we had around the house because it was nearing food shop day, and so just made them vanilla flavoured.

Today I'm trying not to go insane with boredom, I've got about three weeks until I go back to uni, and it'll be my birthday, but at the moment all I'm doing is plenty of baking, cooking and reading. What are you guys up to? if you're out in the rain today then I hope for your sake you have an umbrella!

6 comments:

  1. ahhhhh these sounds really good hun :) I've not baked in forever, you've got me in the mood for it!
    x<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so much difficulty figuring out Google! These look and sound AMAZING Amanda! I have recently (should have been years ago) stopped eating sugar altogether! I am diabetic and I would eat whatever I wanted, which consists of TONS of sweets, and then take medicine to take my blood sugar back down! That was just crazy of me! So, no more cookies or cakes for me! :( On the good side, my blood sugars have been much more even and my protein levels have increased! So, when you make something super yummy, like these cookies, enjoy them for me too! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks so much for checking my other blog! I'm glad to hear your blood sugars have become more even. Ooh I'll be sure to include a sugar alternative in my sweeter recipes, are you able to eat sweetners like Splenda?

      Delete
    2. Yes I can! I use Splenda all the time! I also drink some diet soda! That has aspartame which isn't good for you at all, but safe to drink! I drink less than 3 per week! I used to drink 4 cans a day! Anyhoots, Splenda is GREAT!!! ((((:

      Delete
  3. It's gone, so I will say it all again! Due to diabetes I have cut out all sugars! So, whenever you make something yummy, like these cookies, enjoy them for me too! (:

    ReplyDelete