Wednesday, 3 September 2014

Spiced apple cake with salted caramel

There's a little more going on here than usual, we are peeling, we are coring, dicing and making the easiest caramel in the world. Its good news. 

This is my favorite desert, if I had one last meal I would just order this whole cake to myself with an extra side of the caramel. The sponge is kept moist from the apple pieces, all spice gives it a little kick, and the salted caramel sweetens the whole thing. Okay, lets go.


Ingredients:

For the cake

225g Self raising flour
225g Caster sugar
1 level tablespoon Baking powder
2 tsp Mixed spice
1 tsp Cinnamon
2 medium eggs
150g Butter
3 apples 

For the Caramel

(100g of each)
Condensed Milk
Light brown sugar
Butter



We start by pre-heating the oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3 





then sift the flour, baking powder, all allspice and cinnamon into a large bowl. Add the sugar eggs and butter and beat for about 60 seconds, or until all ingredients have been incorporated.





Its apple time. Use any apples you like, I chose 'Golden delicious'
 Peel the apples and then core them, I do this by cutting them in half and then in half again, then I shimmy the knife in a semi circle shape to get the core out of the apple quarters. Be careful! I've cut myself doing this before.







Add the apples chunks to the cake batter and mix.






Line the bottom of the cake tin with a piece of grease proof paper and butter the sides.




pour in the cake mix and bake for an hour, but check it at 50 minutes by sticking a skewer/knife in, if there's no raw batter on the knife then its done!






The best part. While the cake is cooling, heat equal parts Condensed milk, brown sugar and butter in a pan. Let it simmer, stir occasionally. 




 After 10 minutes add half a teaspoon of sea salt, leave to simmer for another 10 minutes until it becomes a deliciously thick consistency. Allow to cool, pour over cake.







Garnish with sliced apple, you could also use flaked almonds if you're that way inclined.









There you have it! side note - I thought I was a little stingy with the caramel when I baked this so if it looks like there isn't much sauce in the pictures, its because I originally used 60g of condensed milk/sugar/butter. But I changed this recipe to 100g for you guys. Life is not worth living if there isn't an abundance of salted caramel, okay.

Happy baking! xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment

A beginners guide to fitness

I get asked a lot of fitness related questions, how do I find motivation to get in the gym? What exercises are best for weight loss? I...