Friday, 26 September 2014

Weekly Inspirations


Its my birth-week so look out for a massive photo blog in the the next coming days. Always around my birthday I feel the most inspired, I think its because its the one time of year I actually think about death? or mortality, we'll all die one day, appreciate life blah blah blah. So I've been surfing the net, reading and watching all things cool. Come share the coolness with me.


















Around the web:

Online magazine - by Pixi Woo





I've always loved watching Pixi Woo on YouTube and they are largely responsible for any skill I have in make-up. Sisters Nic and Sam Chapman used to work for MAC, but now they impart their make-up advice and tutorials online and I'm so thankful, I've learnt so much from them!

Recently I found out they publish their own monthly online magazine which is brilliant for product junkies and make-up obsessives like me, cool make-up ideas, the good and bad things about all the new products out there and interviews with established artists. Its especially good for budding make-up artists, you can subscribe to the magazine for free here.




Emma Watson's UN speech about gender equality:



I had a lump in my throat as she read this, this speech perfectly tells just a small fraction of sexism and just why it needs to stop. You can tell she's nervous, but the message comes across strongly, an absolute must see.




Music:

"Pretty Hurts" - Beyonce

I'm not convinced of her 'Feminist' status due to contradictory lyrics and themes in her music, having said that, this song is beautifully written (although not by her)

And the video made me tear up a little the first time I watched, girls will know why.








Books:


Tropic of Cancer



This is a strange one, but one I can't stop reading. The main character is a homeless man living with a friend in Paris. Not much really happens, its more a book on these characters and the way they think and feel about things, particularly women and how one should live. A LOT of swearing and vulgarity. When first published it was banned in 1934 but honestly by modern standards, it really isn't that bad. Its also been held responsible for why we have such free speech in books, and is often and widely regarded as one of the most important masterpieces of 20th century literature.





Film:

Factory Girl



This was so interesting, I've heard of Andy Worhol (who hasn't) but I wasn't aware of Edie Sedwick, or The Factory and what happened there so this was educational as well as entertaining.

Its about a troubled rich girl who finds fame but after a while, cannot handle the pressure and party lifestyle. After looking up Edie's life its obvious they left a lot about her out of the film - but if they had included it the film would probably be 3 hours long. Check out her Wikipedia page to see what I mean.



My Neighbor Totoro






I hadn't seen this in years but I decided to give it a re-watch recently when I was feeling a bit down, its so cute and whimsical, the film is full of fantastical characters, beautiful illustrations and all around adorable-ness.



Thanks for reading, Enjoy your weekend! xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday hun ^^ hope you had a fabulous day :)
    Totoro is my favourite film :D i could watch that anytime any day haha
    xo

    ReplyDelete

A beginners guide to fitness

I get asked a lot of fitness related questions, how do I find motivation to get in the gym? What exercises are best for weight loss? I...