Saturday, 15 August 2015

Pumpkin Pie






Pumpkin Pie is an dessert traditionally eaten at Christmas and thanksgiving in the states. Its no where near that time but why eat by the seasons? I wanted pumpkin pie so I made it. We're all about wish fulfilling.






Ingredients:

For the Pie crust

260g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
110g unsalted butter

For Pie filling

425g pumpkin puree
235ml evaporated milk or almond milk
220g caster sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon  ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon plain flour








Rub the salt and butter into the flour until it only just resembles breadcrumbs. 







Add a tablespoon of water and combine the mix with your hands until it resembles a dough, knead this on a floured surface, working quickly, Wrap the dough in clingfilm and put in the fridge for an hour to rest.






Roll your dough out as flat as possible, it will probably break in parts because its so fragile but that's okay.




In a greased, shallow dish, spread the dough, pushing it down to fix any cracks and making sure its still nice and thin, and even. Line the crust with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans or rice, bake the crust in the oven for 10 minutes. then remove the greaseproof paper/baking beans and set the crust to one side. Keep the oven on.









Put the pumpkin puree, egg, milk, sugar, spices and flour in a large bowl and mix with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth.





Pour the mix into the partially baked pie crust and bake for 30 - 40 minutes (or until the pie doesn't 'wobble' when shaken) dust with cinnamon, add cream if you're that way inclined, but I think it tastes best by itself (not often I say that)














Even if you've never tried pumpkin before, I suggest you try this recipe. Its a very subtle flavor in itself, but mixed with all the spices and sweetened with sugar it tastes much more earthy. Its important to bake the pie crust partially first (but not too much or it'll be dry) so that on the second bake, when its got the pie filling in, the mixture doesn't make the crust too wet, or the base will be soggy and that's an unpleasant texture trust me. This recipe is much easier than it looks,




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I've been on a baking spree at the moment and this looks like something I need to add on my to-do list! Love pumpkin pie! The last time I had a slice was in America... last year! Ahh.

    Paula | Lifestyle & Laffs
    www.lifestyleandlaffs.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I bought the Hummingbird bakery cookbook recently and this recipe is from it, I recommend it! full of great classic American dessert recipes, I'm going to do red velvet next I think. I'm on a baking spree too, can't stop won't stop! xoxo

      Delete

A beginners guide to fitness

I get asked a lot of fitness related questions, how do I find motivation to get in the gym? What exercises are best for weight loss? I...