Tuesday, 2 February 2016

Weekly Inspirations
























Books:


Darkly Dreaming Dexter




This is the book that the series Dexter is based from, and its brilliant! the story line differs from the series so it was still a surprise in terms of plot. Its a first person narrative, written from the perspective of charming, self assured, socio-path Dexter Morgan. His character is ingenious, witty, terrifyingly observant and there's a great contrast between the cold, analytical way he see's the world and the more seductive, desire that makes him want to kill. I usually hate murder mystery/detective type stories but this original and compelling.





The Alchemist




This is a short read, but a powerful one. The plot is simple, but the themes this book covers are deep and ones everyone can relate to. A boy who has only ever known the life of a shephard, goes on a journey, what he discovers about the world, people, and himself are inspiring and spiritual. Although religion isn't really mentioned in this book, it still feels very spiritual. I think this should be required reading for all.





The Ocean at the end of the lane




This was a strange one, in a good way. Its written from an eleven year old boys perspective. It starts out normal enough, and then more and more outlandish/magical/unbelievable/scary things happen. Themes of memories, childhood, imagination and family run strong throughout. Next on my list is 'Coraline' which I only just found out was a book before it was a film, and written by Neil Gaiman too.






Music:


21 Pilots - Stressed Out.




I stumbled upon this when my YouTube was on 'autoplay', this song is so catchy, strange and real in lyrics and melody. The Lyrics in particular are so simple yet relatable, I have it on repeat.




Panic! at the disco - This is gospel (acoustic)



This is so soothing, I like to listen to it before bed. I've always loved Brendon Uries voice, but in this song, which I think is better than the original, it really makes you listen and appreciate the lyrics and how deep they are. Also, the video goes from whimsical to hilarious.




Selena Gomez ft ASAP Rocky - Good for you





I can't count how many times I've listened to this now. Its one of my favourites to put on when I'm getting ready for a night out. This is so different to anything I've heard from Selena Gomez before, she's, and ASAP Rocky is always amazing in anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A beginners guide to fitness

I get asked a lot of fitness related questions, how do I find motivation to get in the gym? What exercises are best for weight loss? I...