Sunday, 13 March 2016

Current skincare routine


A lot of nice people have been saying my skin looks good lately (thank you nice people!) so I thought it might be beneficial to mention what skin care items I've been using lately. I like to try new things so I tend to change up my products day to day, but for the past few months I've gotten my routine down to a streamlined, consistent thing that really works for me. I have combination skin, my chin, nose and forehead get greasy throughout the day and my cheeks are dry.


Cleanser:


I've not strayed from the Boots Botanics cleansing balm for what seems like forever. This Olive oil based cleanser comes in a solid balm that easily melts into the skin, removes all the grime and dirt and most importantly, doesn't leave any residue, just baby soft skin. You take the tiniest amount (about the size of a big pea) and massage into the skin, run a flannel under hot water, ring out the excess water, and buff the product away with the hot flannel.

This used to be a lot cheaper but since its becoming more popular recently the price has been hiked up, still affordable, still amazing skincare - particularly for the price point. In fact the whole Boots Botanics range is a godsend.




Serum:



I'm still in love with the Hydraluron serum by Indeed Labs. This is hella expensive, but it works - and is often 1/3 off at Boots. If you're skin is dry, lack-lustre, dull, dehydrated, then your skin needs this. It contains a pure form of Hyaluronic acid that draws water to the skin and traps it there. Its a light balm that sinks in insanely fast, you only need the smallest amount to cover the entire face. This plumps up the skin and gives it life.


Eye serum:



I didn't even know an eye serum existed until a year ago, you live and you learn. Since I'm approaching my mid twenties, eye potions are something I've become recently obsessed with, I have many I plan to try out, but for now the Dr. Organic Rose Otto eye serum is really making an impact. You pat it on around the eye area, delicately, with your ring finger until the product is absorbed. This is softening beyond belief due to the rose oil, it has rave reviews online and I can see why.



Day cream:



In the day time, I want something potent enough to really hydrate the skin, but not so heavy that my make-up will slide around over top. My current favourite is the Alpha H daily essential moisturiser with SPF 50. First of all, what an insanely high SPF for a moisturiser? for that high a percentage you'd think it would be thick, tacky and leave a white cast on your skin; it does none of these things. It applies thick at first but then quickly absorbs. Skin is left radiant, soft, protected from the sun and matte. The perfect base for make-up. Amazing on all skin types.




Night cream:



I've been using the REN Frankincense revitalising night cream for years now, and I've rarely strayed because it does everything a brilliant night cream should do. It softens, hydrates, comforts and cushions the skin. I remember the first time I tried this (it was actually my first luxury skin care item ever) my skin felt so unbelievably, angelically soft. I take it for granted now that I use it every day but this is a serious powerhouse of moisture. Its packed with a tonne of great oils and is perfect for dry/ageing skins. Everyone, in fact, can use it, except perhaps the super oily.




Exfoliator:



I'm loathe to mention this product, because I paid an absolutely obscene amount of money for it, but nothing has ever worked nearly as well as this - that's my justification. The Doctors scrub by Goldfaden MD is the stuff dreams are made of. Funnily enough I used it just before writing this (feels face) it pretty much gives you new skin, that's what it feels like. Its like I have the perfect, untouched, unblemished skin of a newborn, no joke. Created by a world renowned dermatologist, this contain thousands of tiny, uniform Ruby crystals (yes, actual fucking Rubies) and Hyaluronic acid to gently, but thoroughly, buff away dead skin cells and moisturise at the same time. This says to use it daily but I find once a week is more than enough. If you like to invest in skincare, this would be fantastic for all, except the acne prone.

Note: this is currently on 'back order' on the Space NK website because its so popular now, may the luck of the gods be with you when ordering.




Face Masks




I've been using these two face masks, once a week, religiously for a long time now. I've raved about the Origins drink up intensive mask before, but it is the most thirst quenching thing I've ever put on my face. It contains a shed load of high grade oils, smells like a mango cocktail, and a little goes a long way. If you're super oily this might be too rich for you, everyone else should use it, especially the dry skins out there.




Although my skin is clearer than its ever been, I do still get spots at random times, and I notice I get even more if I forget to use this next mask. It is pricey, but you only need a small amount, I'm only just coming to the end of mine and I've had it for 2 years! The Aesop range of masks are brilliant for congested, spot prone skins, the Chamomile concentrate anti-blemish masque is intense, expect to break out the first time you use it because this thing will suck all the dirt from your pores, dirt you didn't even know existed down there. It is strong, but with continued use, effective. I can't remember the last time I had a massive spot, that's all down to this mask.




Special mention mask:





I didn't know what category to put this in, so its a 'special mention' I use this every single night. The Sleeping pack mask by Etude House is a Korean skincare product, its essentially a clear gel that you apply all over the face as the last step in your skin care routine. The gel sets and forms a clear film over the face, which protects your skin as you sleep and seals in the moisture from all the products you used prior. I find this incredibly helpful because I used to wake up with very dry cheeks from where the cotton of my pillow case had sucked out all the moisture over night. This has made a big difference to my skin. You can get it on YesStyle but its much cheaper on Ebay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A beginners guide to fitness

I get asked a lot of fitness related questions, how do I find motivation to get in the gym? What exercises are best for weight loss? I...