Sunday, 17 April 2016

Cherry oat cookies


This is not a cookie for the health concious, it is buttery, soft, chewy and indulgent. I'd like to say these are healthy because they have cherries in them but that would be a lie. I'm still on a health kick, but every now and again I just want to stuff my face with cookies and that's okay. We're all about the balance, you see.








Ingredients

3 oz (75 g) plain flour

1/4 tsp Bicarbonate of soda (Baking soda)
2 oz (50 g) cherries, chopped
1/3 cup (65 g) caster sugar
3 oz (75 g) rolled oats
8 tbsp / 4 oz (112 g) butter
1 tbsp golden syrup (substitute light corn syrup)
1 tbsp milk





I'm using Spelt flour but you can use any plain flour you like, Spelt flour digests easier in the stomach than its standard equivalent, its healthier for you but its not gluten free.





Pre-heat the oven to 150 Celsius. Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a mixing bowl.







Add the sugar, cherries and rolled oats to the bowl and stir until thoroughly mixed.








Put the butter in the microwave for about 10 seconds or until melted, and add the golden syrup. Add the liquid to the flour mix and stir.








Chill the dough in the fridge for 5 - 10 minutes and then scoop into tiny blobs onto a baking sheet. This is easiest to do by using two spoons.

Do NOT use foil or the cookies will stick to it, I didn't have any baking sheets and I could not be bothered to wash the tray, hence why I am using foil like a lazy unprepared so and so.







Bake in the oven for 20 -25 minutes depending on your oven, I cooked mine for 30.











The cherries will dye the dough purple/green and they may look terrible but trust me, they will taste amazing. This is an easy and quick recipe that really satisfies the sweet tooth, They will last 3 - 5 days (honestly though, cookies don't make it through the day in this house) The cookies are soft and will fall apart if you don't leave them to cool after taking them out of the oven, so be patient!

2 comments:

  1. I love the look of these... I'm useless at baking cookies!! Mine always turn into biscuits 😂 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I've gotten decent with baking I think but not without lots and lots of practice over the years! xoxo

      Delete